We’re not just talk, we really went green
In 2007, our Minneapolis – St. Paul and Laguna Beach ad and web design agency saw our “footprint” growing. We rallied together to make lists of ideas of how we could lessen our footprint and improve the “Greenness” of our agency.
The measures we have taken to “go green” have helped us improve:
- our service to every client
- the ease and enjoyment of our client’s way of doing business with us
- the way we can grow our business
- the way they can grow their business
- our brand, never “cheapening” ourselves
These are the steps…
We started with the little things like recycling and waste management, but knew it was going to take more than that to make a difference. So here is a snapshot of what we’ve done and strongly challenge all companies to look within their own structure and see what they too can do to improve our world. Every little bit counts.
Virtual Office: NADA advertising created a proprietary Virtual Office. Our clients can log in at anytime, from any computer and review all of the projects they have open. The system allows them to review each piece of creative, provide feedback and give approval – all of which is stored in our database. What this has done for Mother Earth and our business:
- SCHEDULE: Allows our clients to review creative at their convenience without scheduling time out of their busy lives
- ORGANIZATION: Easier for clients to see the project’s progress so they don’t need to search their email for previous pdf’s to compare rounds
- COST: Most agencies print and courier creative rounds to their clients for review. By having it all online, there are no added costs to our clients for $30 courier runs back and forth
- GREEN: Because we don’t print and courier the creative rounds back and forth between us and clients, we save reams and reams of paper each month as well as emissions and gas from the courier run & the client traveling to our office, ink and time – Mother Nature thanks us every day
Virtual Meeting Room: Using Adobe’s powerful online video conference center engine, NADA advertising holds 99% of our client meetings virtually. At first, some clients don’t want to let go of the old way of doing things and that’s ok, we can meet in person as well, but once they try our VCC they never want to go back:
- SCHEDULE: Allows us to have an online video face-to-face conference call with our clients without taking them away from their office or obligations
- ORGANIZATION: The powerful Adobe tool allows us to screen share, make presentations as well as take over our client’s computers. This allows us to organize a creative presentation, information session, or competitor review while we are all looking at the same thing
- COSTS: NADA advertising has many clients in other states. Using our Virtual Meeting Room, we can all share in a personal relationship without running up our credit card bills on flights and hotel stays
- GREEN: By saving gas to and from local area meetings and flights to out of state clients, our carbon emission is down 90% over traditional meetings
Email Accounting: All of our invoicing and billing is done electronically:
- COSTS: We save hundreds of dollars per year in postage, reams of paper and boxes of envelopes
- GREEN: By eliminating mailing envelopes, the gas used in the delivery vehicles and the flights for out of state invoicing, our billing department’s carbon emission footprint is a proud ZERO or NADA!
By the Numbers
So what do these key changes along with our other efforts look like in terms of numbers?
- Virtual Office: Saves over 20 reams of paper and over 55 gallons of gas used by courier companies each year
- Virtual Meeting Room: Saves over 140 gallons of gas just driving to and from local meetings… not to mention the out of state clients
- Email Accounting: Saves over 3 reams of paper per year, plus the gas of USPS
- Computers: All of our computers we use are energy efficient
We may feel like we don’t have a big impact by the things we do as a single person, but multiplied by millions, we have power beyond belief.
‘Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around.’ – Henry David Thoreau